Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Charade by Nyrae Dawn

Goodreads Summary:

Nineteen-year-old Cheyenne tries to portray the perfect life to mask the memories of her past. Walking in on her boyfriend with another woman her freshman year in college threatens that picture of perfection. 

Twenty-one-year-old Colt never wanted college and never expected to amount to anything, but when his mom's dying wish is for him to get his degree, he has no choice but to pretend it's what he wants too. 

Cheyenne needs a fake boyfriend to get back at her ex and Colt needs cash to take care of his mom, so they strike a deal that helps them both. But what if Cheyenne’s past isn’t what she thought? Soon they’re trading one charade for another—losing themselves in each other to forget about their pain. The more they play their game, the more it becomes the only thing they have that feels real.

Both Cheyenne and Colt know life is never easy, but neither of them expect the tragedy that threatens to end their charade and rip them apart forever.

This is not a YA book. It has adult language and sexual situations. Just an FYI.

My Review: 
I saw this book on another book bloggers facebook page and they said it was awesome so I figured I'd give it a try. I am super glad that I did!! This book was great. I read 80% of it in a day because I could not put it down. This isn't your typical college romance either. Cold and Chey have some crazy stuff going on in their lives. Their little game to get back at Chey's ex quickly turns into a lot more. They are both scarred individuals. Chey is stubborn and Colt is well...a jerk most of the time. They both hide behind their defense mechanisms and really don't let their true colors shine. As Chey finds out some information about her mother she slowly starts to let Colt in. She has a hard time doing that with people. Even those she loves. Then she meets Colt's mom. Her story broke my heart. I found myself crying numerous times when they were with Colt's mom. She is dying of cancer. Now, I don't know if it's because I am a nurse that stories like this really get to me. I have seen cancer and what it does to people head on so that part of the story really pulls on the heart strings. The story was written so well from both Colt and Chey's POV and it wasn't just about sex. The story made it so much more then a book with romance in it. 

Colt is a troubled hotty. He's a jerk most of the time, likes to party, and doesn't do relationships. He's hides behind a shell of tattoos, fighting, partying, and a dirty mouth. The dirty mouth I grew to like actually... apparently he does good things with it. Anyway, Chey begins to break down that shell and when he sees her with his mom he softens a bit. You kind of get to see his transformation throughout the book. Well except the dirty mouth that part stays haha. Him and Chey are like a check and balances system for each other. They don't always get a long and things aren't easy but, that's what makes it perfect. 

I plan on reading more by this author. This book was simply amazing and I would highly recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of a charade of a relationship becoming real. Maybe if I have some extra time next year, I'll try this one out.

    ReplyDelete