Monday, June 15, 2015

Velvet by Temple West

Goodreads Summary:
First rule of dealing with hot vampire bodyguards? Don't fall in love.

After losing both her parents before age seventeen, aspiring designer Caitlin Holte feels like her whole world has been turned upside down, and that was before the terrifying encounter with a supernatural force. Then, she learns that her hot bad-boy neighbor, Adrian—who might have just saved her life—is actually a half-demon vampire.


Suddenly Caitlin is stuck with a vampire bodyguard who feels that the best way to protect her is to become her pretend boyfriend. Trouble is, Caitlin is starting to fall in love for real, while Adrian can never love a human. Caitlin trusts Adrian to keep her safe from his demon father, but will he be able to protect her heart?


My Review:
I have been looking for a fun vampire read and I found it in Velvet. No, it is not Twilight and no it is not like every other vampire book. Caitlin is a young girl who has been through a lot and has had to grow up way to fast. She feels alone in her life until a stranger saves her from a storm. Her memory of the event is foggy. After a few days a guy at school, Adrian, starts to pay attention to her. Becomes her friend and maybe more. Although when Adrian's world comes crashing into Caitlin's, life will never be the same. She is about to enter a world where she is stuck in the middle of two worlds where her life is valuable but, it is also a deadly spot for her. Will Caitlin survive?

Adrian is a pretty perfect guy. I was sad when their relationship was kind of a sham to keep her safe and to protect her from Adrian's father. The demon who is seeking her for...well we never really find out why. Adrian and her relationship feels so real at times. You can tell when it turns into something real and not fake. The shower scene for instance. It shows two people who are broken and beyond caring about the council and others. There is some romance but, I am hoping for more in the next book!

There were great secondary characters as well. Trish is really great. She is the best friend Caitlin could have asked for. She has some great one liners. I also really enjoyed Adrian's brother Lucian. He was by far one of my favorites. His antics were hilarious and getting used to having a body was very amusing. 

I really enjoyed this book. It was a great vampire read and I haven't found many that I really liked lately. It was a book that drew me in and kept me interested the whole time. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one!

2 comments:

  1. I just bought this the other day. I'm glad I have something to look forward to. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nice! Hearing all the good things about this and I can't wait to read it! I love a good vampire book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete