Monday, April 25, 2016

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Goodreads Summary:
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.


What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.



My Review:
Ok I admit, I was drawn to this book only after I saw the movie preview for it. I know, crazy right. This one pulls at the heart stings hardcore. It fills you with hope only to have your heart smashed...more then once. I was so drawn to Lou. She is that slightly awkward girl who lives to the beat of her own drum. She has an out of the box fashion sense and is satisfied with her life. Her family is having money issues so she takes a new job being a companion/caregiver for a disabled man. As you can imagine this is quite the change for Lou. She has never done it before but, feels she would do well if given the chance. Will has not had it easy either. He has went from an active life loving man to a wheelchair bound quadriplegic. This is absolutely devastating to him. Lou tries so hard to be the light that he needs in his life. To give him some kind of life. Will she be able too?

I loved Lou. I think something about her caring nature towards Will and her ability to tell him how it is without being a total witch was what did it. She tried so hard to help Will see the good in life. that with her help she could make him happy. Will has a secret, a secret he tries to keep from Lou but, eventually the truth comes out. Even if you don't want it to. 

I am a nurse so this book really hits home for me. To me it is about as true a story as you can get. Someone struggling severely with their diagnoses and someone who loves them trying to help them see that life is worth living. It is a battle I see everyday. There was something about this book that just drew me in and made me hope. It is definitely worth reading and I can't wait for the movie!


No comments:

Post a Comment