Thursday, August 4, 2016

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Goodreads Summary:
This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.


But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart.

My Review:
I am so mad that I waited so long to finally pick up this series. I was worried the hype was to big and it wouldn't be as good as I built it up to be in my mind. Boy was I wrong. I read this book in a couple days. I have been in a huge book slump and this brought me out of it! Mare is a strong leading lady. She doesn't have the a simple life but, none of the Reds do. They are the outcasts in their society. The workers and the soldiers. The Silvers are the ones who run the world. They have special abilities and bleed silver. There has always been a divide. Mare is destined to be sent to the war when she is given a job with the royals. When an accident happens that proves Mare to be different from all the other Reds, the world is thrown off balance. Her power could change things forever. So the Royals make her a Silver. To hide her. To hide her power. Mare enters a world of lies, deceit, and betrayal. Is she built for this or is she destined to die?

There is a war brewing. Not the one currently being fought either. If the Reds find out about Mare, there will be civil unrest. There is serious hatred between these groups. Mare isn't used to be around Silvers or pretending to be Silver. The cruelty, lying, and manipulation is not something she is used to. Mare learns the cold hard truth pretty fast. Trust no one. 

Oh, the love triangles. Red Queen has one and its substantial. In the Red corner we have Kilorn. Mare's childhood friend. Someone she knows and trusts. When she is thrust into the Silver world however he is not there. She is left with Maven and Cal. The two princes. Although not always obvious, there is a weird feeling around these three. Cal is engaged to someone else and is therefor forbidden. You know what they say about forbidden men! I know who I am voting for that's for sure. There really isn't a lot of time for romance anyway. 

I immediately go the second book in the series and am almost done with it. I am so glad I caught up with it. It's been a great series so far and I can't wait to see what happens! 

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I have been sitting on Glass Sword since it released, but I hope to stop procrastinating and read it soon. The mixed reviews made me scared to read it. Glad you are loving this series so far!

    ReplyDelete